Wednesday 15 June 2011

Dato' Dr Prashant

Finally, our first day meeting the doctor.

I went alone to get the result of the SA yesterday. The sperm count has inceased to 8mil from 3mil. Motility increases from 49% to 50%. The result is still within the same range. I went home, told my husband subtly and both of us were ok with it.

We arrived at 10 at the clinic but only got to see the Dr at 1030am. I have been warned about the wait through reading a few blogs written by other patients of Dr Prashant. I killed the waiting time by going through the Royal Wedding photos in Hello!. Such a happy occasion and it reminded me of my wedding day, 2 years ago.

Dr Prashant was very direct with us. He started asking standard questions, started looking at the sperm test result and straight away said...'You need to do IVF'. I was disappointed because I was hoping to be able to do IUI since I am scared of needles but at the same time, I was glad to get a straight forward answer. To me, it is better to spend all that money on the best option rather than hunting on simpler option yet not going anywhere. Hubby was calm too even though I know he was still upset with the fact that I forced him to do the count earlier than he wanted to. The main point is, sperm count test does not change in 1 month or a week. The count, if changes, will only happen in 3 months.

We spent maybe 10mins with Dr Prashant. All I can say for now, he is very direct and did not waste anyone's time.I have not done any procedure with him, so I could not write a review on his work. We shall find out when I come back for my assessment in my next cycle!

We then went to see Nurse H who explains about IVF. I was happy and full with hope when she said with IVF, for people at my age, we have 65% success rate. That is good enough for me. Then suddenly Dr Prashant walked in and we asked him about IUI. He said with IUI, with the sperm count that we have, it is only 1% chance that we will be able to conceive. Of course, IVF is expensive. After further discussion, considering our age, the cost for our IVF treatment is going to be RM15,500. The normal package is RM17,500 but since they categorised us as a young couple, we were given RM2k discount.

I will have to come back for an assessment on day 2 and day 10 of my cycle to see if I am a suitable candidate for IVF. Between now and then, hubby and I will discuss when to start our IVF journey. With Ramadhan coming and both of us going away for holiday soon, we plan to postpone our IVF to September. It feels ages away but I would like to have a good Ramadhan. I really hope Allah will answer our prayers....we both can wait a little longer. After all, a child is a gift from Him....we have accepted that our journey towards having a child is not as easy as others and we will keep on trying.

Today, I feel content....for the first time, I feel there is hope and we started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. InsyaAllah, we will be ok. I hope we will...

Cost for today - RM100 for semen analysis and RM100 for consultation. To me, this was way cheaper than the charge by my gynae at Primanora, TTDI. We may have to spend more in our next visit for my assessment since my next visit will involve blood test and ultrasound scan. Until then, I am just going to take a break from thinking about this and just enjoy life as usual. Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment