Monday 10 October 2011

IVF - Appointment No 1

Hubby left for away jobs in the East Cost at 6am. I went back to sleep after saying good bye. So sad for both of us...

My MIL and my mom accompanied me to my first IVF appointment. I was nervous, yet excited too. The clinic was pretty empty when we got there. It was a relief :)

We went in to see Dr Prashant at 12 noon. He straight away started scanning my uterus and we saw 8 eggs in my right ovary and 5 in my left. Pretty normal I guess.

But Dr P couldn't start my IVF. I was quite frustrated as I was very excited about starting my IVF. However, I understand Dr P's concern. He will be away from the 17th-18th of Oct. Therefore, we have to postpone the IVF until he comes back.

He gave me the OCP to be taken every night starting from today until Saturday of which I need to come for a blood test. The plan is then to start the IVF on the 20th. Reason being as below:

Birth control pills or, more correctly, oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) can be used as a part of the IVF stimulation protocol in several different settings. First, in patients who are known or suspected to be high responders, OCPs may help mitigate the risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.

Second, which is in my case, in patients without predictable regular menstrual cycles, OCPs can be used in combination with Lupron to initiate an IVF cycle. They uusually start OCPs in such cases after confirming with a blood test that the woman has not recently ovulated. Then, after 1 week, they add Lupron. After 1 more week, they stop the Lupron and wait for withdrawal bleeding. Once a patient has bled, they begin the gonadotropin stimulation.

We are hoping that IVF is still happening this month as I need to go back to work soon. On the bright side, hubby will be with me throughout the process as no more outstation until next month. Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaa!

Btw, I started to realise that I have readers from all over the world. While this may seem like child’s play to some of you, it’s a really big deal to me.  Since I started, my average readers are only from Malaysia. Now I have readers from the States, Asia Pacific, Australia etc. So drop me a line.  Let me know you were here.  Tell me about yourself and your journey.  Kinda like a blind date…but not as cheesy.  I’d love to hear from you.  And maybe I can stop by your place too.  Have your people call my people :)

Ps: Today's visit is free of charge, superb! :)

8 comments:

  1. Good Luck and Thank you for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arlene! Your blog helps in giving me the strength and guideline to go through IVF :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no option to follow your blog. Can u add the widget to follow your blog. Check out mine http://my-ivf-journey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'm really sorry but I am not good with widget etc. A bit behind in techno hehe. But I'll look into it :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to blogger dashboard, click add a gadget, & chose followers. to add. Gd luk with your ivf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I did it but not sure if I did it right ;) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes u did it correctly, i'm following your blog. Do follow my blog as well. and Gd luk with ur ivf. i've been thru it twice, u can ask q'ns if you have any.

    ReplyDelete