Monday 31 October 2011

IVF - Egg Transfers Day

Hello dear readers,

We made the biggest decision today, well biggest throughout our IVF journey. We transferred a SINGLETON, during a 3-day-cycle. You see, when I left the house, I thought let's go with two even though my mom and MIL think one is enough since I am still young and also because I have a small size body. But on my way there, I looked at the people around me...I want my child to grow healthily. I want a baby so badly but I definitely want a healthy baby. Last night, I read a story about a woman who was 21 weeks pregnant with twins and she lost them at 22 weeks with no reason. She is quite small, like me. I honestly will go mental if that happens to me...if it is going to be a negative, I'd rather it be in 2 weeks than 22 weeks....so this is the story of what happened today :) our story...

I changed my clothes and hubby did the same. The IVF lab is next to the clinic on the same floor. Me, with full bladder, and feeling like bursting, I saw Dr P came into the OT. Boy what a relief to see him. Dr P told us that I have 4 very good embryos of Grade 2. 2 with 8 cells and 2 with 6 cells. The rest are good embryos at grade 3 and 4, they might turn into grade 2 in 2 days time. I was disappointed that I didn't have any grade 1 but per the embryologists, who are very very kind, they rarely seen grade 1 embryos. So i guess i am ok. Dr P also mentioned about 5 days transfer called blastocyst. Know what that is? :)

A paper published in 2008 concluded that selective single blastocyst transfer in women with a good chance of becoming pregnant can reduce the chances of having a multiple pregnancy after IVF while maintaining the overall likelihood of becoming pregnant.

Other recent evidence suggests that transferring a single blastocyst on day 5 of in vitro culture is associated with a higher clinical pregnancy rate, compared with transfer of a single cleavage-stage embryo. Culturing the embryos until day 5 helps embryologists to identify the embryos most likely to result in a successful pregnancy. You should also bear in mind that if you opt for blastocyst transfer:

1) you may not get any embryos that develop to the blastocyst stage.
2) there may also be fewer embryos to freeze.


I was confused. So when Dr P gave us an option to go to the toilet and pee and decide later, hubby straight away said yes ;) what a relief to be able to pee. I had our discussion with hubby and we decided on a singleton today :) we plan to freeze the next 3 which make it to day 5. Crazy I know but we have made up our mind. The Egg transfer is quick and painless but embarrassing. I had to open my legs as wide as possible. When the embryo was transferred, I felt like a water bubble pop inside my uterus and it is done. Yeay!



Hubby was in tears of joy, I kept myself strong. I know I am not pregnant yet but it is so beautiful. The tiny white bean is in my uterus. If you look at the photos attached, the small white bean in my uterus, near the lining is our embryo. Can you see it? We could see it the moment Dr P showed us the screen. I straight away asked for a copy of the photo for us to keep. This is the first time my egg and hubby's sperm met up in my uterus. How wonderful :) I am very happy today...I just saw the most beautiful thing in my whole life. Call me crazy but I love that bean ;) I smiled and thank Dr Prashant :)

After 10 minutes laying down, I rushed to the loo and took a rest in the recovery room for the next 40 minutes before we went home. We had steamboat at home for lunch (thanks mom!) and now, I am going to be in bed for the next 48 hours :) I will be seeing Dr P again this Friday for a scan of my uterus lining. I hope the uterus is doing great...and I hope the progesterone is helping.

I am now officially in my 2 weeks waiting period, praying that our singleton will make it :) I am also praying that my eggs in the lab are doing great as I want them in the future. I want my baby to have siblings, hopefully we can have 3 or 4 kids....I'm dreaming now ;) What a day...

May God help us ;)

6 comments:

  1. hi Good luk for ur 2 week wait. so are u using ur lap top for blogging while in bed? jus asking coz i too did the same during 2 wk wait.

    I never got those pics nor did Dr P show them in monitor don't know y :(, he also did not ask me to come back to check my uterus lining. don't know y.... anyway

    gd luk to u, and take care....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there :) I'm using my iPad. I planned to spend the first 48 hours in bed ( except for nature call and meal time). By Wednesday afternoon I should be able to return to light activities, definitely involve dining outside ;)

    Re the pics, I am a noisy patient and I asked too many questions. I asked Dr P to have a copy for souvenir, he didn't offer them to me but was kind enough to print two snapshots for us. Re uterus lining scan, I read other blogs by Dr P's patient also involved the scan. No idea why none or yours. You should ask the clinic about it :) no harm in asking, like I said, I am a noisy patient :D

    You planning to start again anytime soon? My prayers go to you too...remember your folic acid and vit C!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi There,

    i'm taking a break, had a long discussion with Dr P today. He thinks we should continue trying. He firmly believe that i could get pregnant. I was so damn relieved to hear that from dearest Dr P. will update news about my post treatment consultation in my blog.

    ipad is touch screen right? can u conveniently type using it?

    well i had many questions too after my transfer, may be coz i jumped into q'ns straight away, Dr did not get a chance to show the scan to us. besides since it's not our first attempt may be he consider us a mature patients :D not sure lah.

    tc and good luk to u, i could not stick to bed for 48 hours. i was in couch and bed, and lil bit of walking inside house, also lot of internet surfing with ma lap top.

    gd luk n tc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your entry, u are still considered young :) the embryologists told me a 50 year old lady got pregnant recently with Dr P. Amazing right? :)

    iPad is useful and a touchscreen pad but I prefer a laptop still...iPad is useful during 2ww coz I can place it standing near me...

    it is good that u are taking a break :) I did that for 4 months before IVF ie didn't plan timing of our sex activities. It strengthen the relationship ;)

    My bedrest is similar to yours but I am going out tonight. I'm too bored already...I need my date night with hubby hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow 50 year old and pregnant. that's definitely a miracle.

    also ipad is less weight compared to laptop. ya laptop is much easier to type.

    ya we are taking a break, but i also want to try before i turn 35. InshaAllah....

    enjoy your night out, more relaxed you are greater your chances. tc

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Vitro Fertilization is an egg fertilization technique that's made outside the body.

    IVF Cost

    ReplyDelete